PSA: Guns, Bullshit & Snowboarding

By • Dec 14th, 2012 • Category: Features, Latest, Random

PSA_FERN

By Eric Fernandez

There is a bullshit phenomenon in the snowboard world pissing me off now more than ever. The use of live firearms in web videos and video parts. Are you a thug ready to murder your next victim, or are you a snowboarder? Oh yeah, you’re a snowboarder, so stop promoting guns.

“The Real” in TRJJ is for “Real in da streetz.”

I presume that the reason for including this footage is to show how edgy the rider is, to project an image of being “raw” and “badass,” or to mock contemporary culture surrounding rap music which equates guns with “cool.” Or maybe it is to show that they can have fun not giving a flying fuck about doing an inherently dangerous, life-threatening, irresponsible and pointless activity like firing an automatic firearm into a god damn lake or at a tree in the mountains. Well, I will spare you the suspense: including this footage in your video will not make you seem more badass, or more interesting, or a better snowboarder. It will make you seem like an utter moron as you embarrass the snowboard community with your ridiculous antics.

ak47
Why do you even have an AK-47? And why is shooting water cool?

The dude with the gun must turn over to his filmer to be sure that he is going to get the shot. Does he call “drop” just like he does while he’s strapped in? I’ve considered that maybe these kids are actually running around just firing these assault weapons with reckless abandon, and their filmers are just so happening to get some of it on film. I really would like to know how many of these kids are playing with guns for fun when the cameras aren’t around.

Skip to :25 for some stupid shit.

I know what most of you are thinking: this piece was written as a direct response to the horrifying, unspeakable acts that were committed this morning in Newtown, Connecticut, where 20 some children between the ages of 5 and 10 had bullets tear through their bodies as their classmates watched on. Well, I wrote this piece a week ago, when the last shooting happened. Here we are with two shootings in one week, one in Portland, where a lot of people who are reading this might even live. I read the news this morning and I started weeping. I wept for like 10 minutes. The event in Newtown Connecticut this morning should be a looming reminder of the reality of guns and reinforce the fact that guns and snowboarding should not be associated with one another. I love watching you guys snowboard, I don’t want to see one of you accidentally send a bullet through your buddy’s head.

Tagged as: , , , , ,
one of the founders of the internet.

75 thoughts on “PSA: Guns, Bullshit & Snowboarding

1. CupOwater

What ever man I dont agree. I think individuals need to be responsible for there actions, and not pawn off the consequences for there poor decision making on others.

I’ve got the same grip with well fare as well. I have friends that don’t work, snowboard all the time (which is awesome) and the government floats the bill, and people like myself that have to work a 9-5 have to pay for them. Don’t get me wrong, Its cool for them they could make that situation happen, but I feels wrong.

2. Lern2reed

Someone should copy/paste this article
    into the comments — maybe more people would actually read it. I own guns, and use them for hunting and shooting clays/targets safely, which in my opinion way cooler than shooting trees in the woods like a moron. There’s nothing gangster about snowboarding. If the dudes putting guns in their videos aren’t trying to seem tough, then they’re just being ironic which is just as lame. These guys should be conscious of the image they project to the little dudes looking up to them. This article isn’t about gun control or politics, its about not being an irresponsible dufus and I totally back it.

3. Skilmer

@asparagus piss or I know what it’s like to go through an experience like losing a family member. I would rather respect and send them my best wishes rather than having a pissing contest, ya dick.

4. sean

@asparagus piss , thats great that you read articles on newyorker.com im sure youre a genius , and if it was up to me noone would be allowed to own guns. Its understandable that everyone is ultimately just trying to look towards a solution to a sick problem that we all wish we weren’t dealing with. But using this as a time to prove that your personal point of view is “right” is so fucking stupid. Use your brain and be a human and realize that this was an act of absolute insanity. A similar incident to this happened in China a few days ago but guess what…. the guy used a knife. None of this is light hearted or funny or should be used in any way to gain publicity or have people support a personal viewpoint. The fact is people must be falling out of touch with family members or friends in a way that is so extreme that there are a few that are so outcast that they are angry enough to do something unimaginably fucked up. Some sad sad stuff.

5. poop

Wow. fuck this shit. I don’t come to yobeat to hear people berating my hobbies, which happens to include shooting guns. keep your retarded views on gun control on facebook.

6. Riehle

guns are dope, video’s are more than just snowboarding its shows off the person. I mean I get it w/ a bunch of dumbass’s goin on rants lately, but snowboarder’s shooting them off is pretty American.

7. Chris

And this write up is definitely on point and esp regarding the last part the least sarcastic thing written on the site.

8. @donkeylipz @Biitjo

actually, if you read it thoroughly, you would have been able to see that in the last paragraph he tied it to the shootings in oregon and the recent shootings in connecticut. he directly related his article about guns in snowboarding to recent horrific shootings, therefore expressing his political views on gun control through snowboarding.

read this, it makes a lot more sense to me than arguing gun control. just give it a chance…

9. @donkeylipz@Biitjo

actually, if you read it thoroughly, you would have been able to see that in the last paragraph he tied it to the shootings in oregon and the recent horrific shootings in connecticut. he directly related his article about guns in snowboarding to recent horrific shootings, therefore expressing his political views on gun control through snowboarding.

click on my name and read that article, it makes a lot more sense to me than arguing stricter gun policies. just give it a chance…

10. Tech9ine bitches

The Gremlans are all pussies. Those kids dont have guns (cuz their parents wouldnt fork over the cash) and they are definitely yelling at the camera man to get the shot when they are holding their friends gun.

Besides that, I dont get why this post is on a snowboard website

11. YoBeat is JustBeat

andddd YoBeat just fell off completely. Did you really just relate a policital agenda to snowboarding? I get enough politics in my everyday life. I dont come to this website to hear some whiny kid rant about their personal position on firearms. I know why everyone shits on YoBeat now, you guys are slipping.

And get Eric Fernandez off the boards and onto a blog where people are at least in tune with what your talking about. Stick to what you know because its not politics and it sure isnt snowboarding. More snowboarding, less whining opinions.

I can only hope that ChangeThatTape starts posting more

12. asparagus piss

Granted that was a meatheaded way to put it, but your point of view makes no sense to me. My problem is with all the people literally saying, “Now is not the time to talk about control.” That is nothing if not subterfuge to avoid defending the indefensible. If I talk about why the prevalence of guns in this country is completely wretched right now or at any other time it is insensitive to NO ONE. If that conversation actually gains traction because of what happened and something changes, that would be a far more important tribute to the lives lost than a bunch of gun-toting kooks saying, “We can’t talk about guns, we should just pray for the families.”

13. asparagus piss

I think the best way to respect the people who lost loved ones would be to speak honestly about access to guns in this country. Do you even know what “pissing contest” means? Do you honestly think these people would rather everyone have a somber moment of silence than talk about solid steps that could be taken to reduce the likelihood of something like this happening again? It is not a mark of respect to avoid a discussion about one of the main reasons things like this continue to happen; it’s the opposite of that.

14. upstatemike.

I’m scared of the generation of kids growing up today. Bunch of socially akward wussbags. No one would have tried this shit back in the day, they’d be too scared to get beat up a nun with a ruler.

15. skilmer

“A pissing contest is any argument that just goes back and forth between two individuals but never gets resolved.”

Snowboarders arguing politics… sounds about right.