Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Instagram

10 reasons NOT to move to Burlington, Vermont

burlingtonmain

Burlington… oh Burlington, I’ve given you everything…. and in return, I have received nothing but the occasional acid flashback and a momentary case of the clap (don’t worry ladies, it’s gone, thanks student health.) Anyways, what can I say about the seemingly picturesque college town besides, don’t judge a book by its cover. Or, in this case, don’t judge a college based on the review of some kid you met at Camp Bisco.

Listen, you probably think you have Burlington all figured out. However, Burlington not the super chill, shred utopia you may think it is. My name’s the Yung Bachelor and I’m about to expose Burlington’s dark and disgusting underbelly. Yup, you heard it right folks, here’s ten reasons, in no particular order, why you shouldn’t move to Burlington, VT.

1.The University of Vermont

UVMimg-01

Not only is UVM extremely expensive, but the University also requires you to live in the dorms for your first two years of school. Initially, the allure of booze, girls and freedom will make the dorms seem like a vice filled paradise. However, after you’re stuck in a forced triple for a year, your perspective will change. After all, most stereotypes regarding UVM are true, so one of your roommates will quickly make the transformation from sheltered high school student to heady rage master when he simultaneously discovers his love for plastic vodka and the Grateful Dead. By the end of your freshman year, you’ll want to get out of the dorms faster than Shaun White at an Olympic slopestyle event.

2.Champlain College

Champlainimg-01

-The University of Vermont isn’t the only college in downtown Burlington. There’s also Champlain College and it’s also very expensive. Although Champlain is a much smaller collegiate institution, what it lacks in size, it makes up for in smelly gamers and pretentious hipsters. Have you ever been vibed out by a graphic design major, rocking a Thrasher hoody, that you’ve seen pushing mongo? Neither have I, until I went to a Champlain party.

3. KETAMINE

khole

Rick James once famously stated, “Cocaine’s a hell of a drug!” I’m not downplaying the effect of cocaine on the human nervous system. However, I’ve never seen anyone lay facedown in a dirty bathtub for half an hour after a line of cocaine. Think about it, do you really want to live somewhere where recreational Ketamine use is common?

4. BEER SNOBS

beersnob-01

Supporting local business is awesome and Vermont has a ton of amazing local beer. Although, as someone who spends 40 dollars at a time to stock up on Bud Ice and 4loko, I’m not exactly the pickiest person when it comes to what I guzzle down my throat piece. For some odd reason, certain people in Burlington care. These people are Beer Snobs and they’re annoying as fuck. Just imagine that kid in High School who thought he knew everything about weed. Now, imagine that same type of person at a bar or house party, critiquing your choice of beverage. You can find these snobs pensively lurking around the beer cooler at City Market.

5. WOOKS

945097_528997913822013_1547011943_n

Trust fund hippies suck, but they’re a lot better than the real thing. A wook has no real goals or aspirations besides getting high, begging for free shit and collecting heady pins to put on their cranial accessories. Unlike the collegiate trustafarians, wooks don’t have parental income to depend upon. Instead, they’re left with nothing but “good vibes” to get them through life. Besides, I’ve never seen a trustfund hippy filter a hit of nitrous through a dirty sock. You’ll most likely find these wooks lurking around the Church Street area of downtown. Never engage a wook or else he’ll try and sell you a bunch of “sacred” gems or something along those lines.

6.THERE’S NOT A STRIP CLUB

stripclubimg-01

Self explanatory.

7. FRAT DUDES/ BROS

Screen Shot 2014-03-11 at 5.25.55 PM

Honestly, I’m surprised that these Ronald Regan-loving, Jimmy Buffet -listening to, pink short-wearing brochachos decide to bro out in the most liberal state in America, but they do and do so at a growing rate. Typically, these bros love Newschoolers, Brooks Brothers, and club lacrosse. You can find these bros getting their groove on downtown at Rasputin’s bar with a mixed drink in one hand and an underage girl in the other.

8. LONGBOARDERS

longboards-01

I don’t know what to say about Longboarders that hasn’t already been said, but I’ll give it a shot. In my opinion, longboarding is a lot like masturbating. Firstly, I think that if you’re doing either, publically, on a college campus, that you should be arrested. Secondly, I think that if you’re doing either with gloves and a helmet, that you’re taking it way too seriously. Unfortunately, longboarding is an epidemic in Burlington. You can find these thrill seeking douchers holding up traffic by carving down one of the many busy hills of Burlington. However, there are some “shortboarders” out here too.

9. EVERYONE’S A DJ

itunes_dj_0jg

-In terms of the collegiate community as a whole, not too many people like rap music. Well, a few like political conscious, “bush knocked down the towers”, type shit. But, in terms of music regarding wholesale cocaine prices, ciroq and molly, there’s not a huge following. What I’m getting at, is if you’re not hearing some heady jams, you’re probably about to hear a bass drop. Unfortunately, the popularity of electronic music within Burlington makes everyone aspire to be a DJ. Let me tell you, there’s nothing more annoying than a college DJ. To my dismay, I’ve seen em all. Yup, from “DJ JAZZY JIZZ” to “DJ KETAFIEND”, they all suck. The only DJ I’m partial to is “DJ NOISE VIOLATION”, because that’s when my homie Nice Mike hijacks the sound system at a party and maxes it out with Three 6 Mafia until the cops come and give the homeowners a noise violation.

On a serious note, RIP DJ A-DOG.

10. LANDLORDS / COAST OF LIVING

ratdogmanor-01

The majority of landlords in Burlington are complete scumbags. A few landlords own almost all of the property downtown. Therefore, you’re going to live in Burlington, be prepared to pay a fuckload to live in a deteriorating house or apartment.

one of the founders of the internet.

Similar posts

Comments (161)

1. Do people not understand what satire is? ……

2. You forgot the crackheads..

oh and the fact that theres NO FUCKING PARKING

3. My conclusion from this article is that it was written by a very young person.

4. I’m going to be honest, if I could do it over again I wouldn’t go to UVM.

• Your college experience is what you make of it. There are drugs and alcohol on every campus in the US. The education you derive from the school itself is up to you…not the other students. While UVM is certainly expensive, the education is worth it.

5. on point and fucking hysterical

6. Well, seriously. This is funny, but its stereotypical and clearly coming from a douch-ey out of staters perspective, in which case, go back to the masshole you crawled out of.

• I totally disagree. As a Vermonter who went to UVM and my brother went to Champlain, this is seriously accurate (he was a Game Programmer major and his roommates really did smell… lol. He was also in a Quad, not just a triple).I never went to a frat party though I knew plenty of Sig Ep/Fiji/Pike brothers (which is why I actually find that meme about Sigma Phi Epsilon hilarious).

7. Clearly this was written by a douch-ey out-of-stater who should probably just crawl back to the masshole he rolled out of.!

8. Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

9. I’m just an old woman from southern Vermont, I’m sorry but I didn’t understand a word you wrote, although it was in English?

10. Ah, good ‘ol Burlington, VT…the only place where your social ranking is determined by how much powder you shred or how much powder you put up your nose

• Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

11. You forgot to mention Subarus…the cause of EVERY TRAFFIC JAM in the State of Vermont and the whinny, xenophobic 802-sticker bunch.

12. Yea, dude almost nailed it on the head. I’ve lived here for 30 years, traveled the entire United States (in a band, not trust funded) & I still can’t believe the number of defensive, clueless & oblivious population that flock to this state. Ultra left-wing retards lurk everyplace you visit & along with them come there rules & ‘open minded-ness’ which only exist to serve their agenda. This isn’t limited to bars either, there are only a very small handful of decent establishments to drink in left & I don’t dare name the few cool ones leftover in worry that d-bags researching a move to VT might see this & ruin it for my very small group of friends & myself (who don’t like phish, “craft” beer or date-raping woman)

13. Ok first off, the author of this article clearly hadn’t moved away from he ever until he tried Vermont because he doesn’t realize that everything on his list is going to be found in every major college town aside from the actual names of the schools and the hippies might be replaced with gangsters, rednecks, preps or etc. I agree with his point about the cost of living and school tuition however every dorm in every college is going to be small and cramped. Also, I used to work at Magic Hat and I’ll say that their beer is nothing special, however other Vermont brewery’s (that primarily sell only to VT bars and restaurants) such as Hill Farmstead or The Alchemist make beer of a quality higher than this ignoramus could handle so his opinion doesn’t count. Another thing, the music scene? He had to attack the music scene…Is it because he is jealous he can’t make music? Ok well electronic music is way better than rap, especially artists like Gramatik, EOTO, Break Science, Pretty Lights & Lotus are way better musicians/music producers than any mainstream junk this author probably listens too. He clearly only recognizes “gangster rap” as music since he hates on Immortal Technique (a true hip-hop artist who preaches meaningful, intricate lessons and stories), the artist who performs “Bin Laden” aka the “bush knocked down the towers” song this author refers too. 50 cent/G-Unit “i f*** bi***es, i get money, i sell drugs and get in trouble” is not real hip-hop or good music…it’s just mainstream “gangster rap”…so mister-I’m-a-writer (not a good one though, he didn’t even mention how f***ing cold it get’s here in winter in his not-top-10), how about you put your focus onto something more important than bashing my state and use your leisure time to maybe do something productive like fill out a job apocation or a transfer application to a new school. Anyways…802 rocks…so quit your whining, get a life (not spending, only god knows how many hours you wasted on that disgrace of an article) and go back to wherever the hell you came from.

14. I’d say it’s high time the author heads back to New Jersey. Try paying for living in a major city. Clearly written by an undereducated college student with a limited world view. Disappointing.

15. I love all the defensive comments. YOU ARE THE IDIOTS THIS ARTICLE IS ABOUT!! Bahahhaha

16. Swing down to Rutland. All the benefits of Vermont, with none of the pomp and circumstance.

cheap tuition, no long boards, much fewer hippies, real bars, real music, and inexpensive housing.

17. ONLY RODE STOWE ONE DAY IN MY LIFE AND I SMOKINGLY CARVED THE LIVING PREPPYNESS OUT OF THAT HELMET-WEARING WELL-DRESSED CROWD THEY GOT GOING ON THERE. MAVEN WAS THE COOLEST LOOKING RETAIL SHOP I HAD EVER SEEN IN VT THOUGH AND FOR THAT THEY DESERVE SOME TRUE PROPS BECAUSE THAT IS A DIFFICULT THING TO DO THESE DAYS. OTHERWISE, PROPS TO THE INDEPENDENT BUSINESS VIBES UP YONDER AS WELL, PRETTY COOL NOT SEEING THE CHAINSTORES!

VIVA LA CHAMPY! VIVA LA BRUSHIE! VIVA LA GOULET! VIVA LA KING! VIVA LA NEARY! VIVA LA MILLER! VIVA LA EVANS! VIVA LA SPIRO! VIVA LA JAMIL!!!!!

18. What truly concerns me is the rise in drugs, i.e., HEROIN……$2 million worth of the drug is brought into the state each week. To have such a beautiful state be labeled as “America’s Heroin Capital” is frightening to say the least.

19. also….you failed to mention the fact that Burlington is exactly one hour from Montreal…and about 50 stripclubs that make any stripclub in the US seem like fucking chuck e cheese.

• ARE YOUR GOING TO GAY STRIP CLUBS? ALOS, DO YOU HAPPEN TO BE ASIAN? HAVE YOU EVER GIVEN A WOMAN AN ORGAMS. LOL

20. most of these reasons are pretty spot-on, but unfortunately the same could be said about most cities. the best part about vermont is how awesome everyone who lives here thinks it is. i always suspect it’s because they came from somewhere way shittier. living in burlington gives you the opportunity to be the coolest person in burlington, because it’s not that hard.

21. is anyone else confused as to why ketamine is even on this list? I feel like heroin, coke, and crack are MUCH bigger problems in burlington! Coming from Mass, there was a lot more K there and I’ve barely seen any lingering around Burlington… every city has their problems with drugs!

• BECAUSE EVERYONE IN BURLINGTON IS STUPID, AND ASIAN. :)

22. This article is 100% accurate and Vermont is the worst place to live ever, it like sucks so bad omgeeeee. but seriously dont move to VT, there’s obviously enough douchy college pieces of shit in Burlington And we don’t need them overflowing into the real VT.

Also yobeat is the stupidest fucking website and I can’t believe I’m posting on here

23. dumb and unintelligent….I love my Burlington <3 and am proud to call it my home.

24. this isnt satire. The kid who wrote this is a dumbass who has no real values or aspirations

• WHOEVER DISLIKED THIS, NEED DIE. GO BACK TO WHERE THE FUCK YOU CAME FROM. I BET YOUR ASIAN. ASIA SEEMS NICE… NOT! SO MOVE BACK BACK THERE… OR, BUY PENIS PUMPS… BECAUSE “MY” WHITE GIRLS ARE GETTING SICK AND TIERED OF NOT GETTING OFF :). ASIANS SUCK. GROW BALLS, SHOW UP AT A NIGGAS HOUSE, THEN TALK SHIT. OF COURSE YOU WONT… YOUR TOO OCCUPIED TRIPPING OVER YOUR SAMLL COCK.

25. You can just change the title to “10 reasons not to move to a college town”.

• PAUL. WRITE A BOOK. YOUR A GENIUS. THESE ASSHOLES HAVE NO IDEA. SHELTERED ASS BITCHES. GOD HELP ME NOT FIND THEM.

26. Also…..I’d like to add…..we don’t want you here anyway….you are why it’s so expensive here. Go to college somewhere else.

• YES, FUCK YOU ASSHOLES! GO HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. You appear to be pretty small minded. One of your arguments is longboarding? Did you accidentally say 10 reasons and had to squeeze that one in? No strip club? I guess we’re a little too classy. Go beat off somewhere else man. There are douchey frat boys and stoners everywhere. Life is what you make of it, and it Looks like you screwed yourself over

• THANK YOU SWEET HEART. JESUS CHRIST. A REALIST….

28. You forgot the heroin war, the North Streeters who think Burlington is like Compton, And the Colchester Police

• MOVE TO COMTON. YOURE ALL SOOOOOO HARD RIGHT??????!!!!!???? LOL YOU FUCKERS ARE HILARIOUS – MOVE TO COMPTON! I BET YOU DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT STTE ITS IN! AND FICK THE WEST COAST!!!! MOVE OIN BK, OR BX ASSHOLE! YOU’LL BE PRAYING YOU HAVE THE CHANVE TO MOVE BACK TO VT; YOUR NOTHING BUT THE TYPICAL PUSSY ASS NIGGER THAT THINKS THERE LEAVING THERE COUNTRY FOR A BETTE RLIFE, ONLY TO RETURN MORE HUMBLE THAN EVER. SO SHUT YOUR FUCKCING MONTH. OR BETTER YET, SHOW UP AT 44 PEMBROOK DRIVE IN MINEOLA NY… I DARE YOU TO KNOCK ON MY FUCKING DOOR YOU VT PUSSY ASS BITCH! I’LL RAPE YOUR ASS, AND THEN BUY YOUR TICKET BACK TO YOUR INSEST PARENTS HOUSE. :) WELCOE TO THE REAL WORLD, NEW YORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• BITCH! 44, PEMBROOK DRIVE, MINEOLA NY, 11501. DARE YOU.

29. To eveybody that said negative stuff a bout burlington vt and especially the writer of this article should slit ur throat and burn themselves alive

• I AGREE. FUCK THEM! THEY DONT KNOW WHAT LIFE IS! PAMPERED WOODIES. SUCK DICK. MOOSE DICK :). DIE, AND LEAVE THE STATE. AND DIE…

30. VT makes you very culty.

To people who fly in and stick, there’s actually no other acceptable place to live, and it’s OK to tell everyone — everyone — about their incorrect life choices if they must move away. I can hear them now: “Provincialism? Oh, we don’t have that IN VERMONT.” Hilarious.

It’s been 20 years since I left a good chunk of my peer group in VT. Just now, they’re starting to stop explaining to me how much better Vermont is than my state, to start off every single conversion. About 10 years ago, I stopped mentioning that was happening. I think it’s helping!

My VT friends, dear to me as they are, find me hopelessly square. And probably due to my time in VT, my friends here think I’m a hippie. I can’t win! Oh well. There are worse problems.

You know what, people? Wherever you are, there you are. Get on with it.

Here’s a painful truth: You’re more Portlandia than Portlandia. But less funny. And with worse drugs and zoning.

• An honest, unbias, un-Asian answer,,, But I still hope you die. Move to BK you oussy. You’ll be sucking dick to raise money for your flight back to VT International.

31. This article misses the point entirely. What makes Burlington thrives is it’s appeal to successful and intelligent people and the loyalty of the population to small business. We have one of the best educational medical facilities in the country. If you look at any of these reasons stated as a real reason not to live somewhere then please, stay away from here. Vermont is great DESPITE these things, but if you’re 23 and care about being “cool”, being “cooler” than other people, and about the party scene at all then we don’t want you here.

32. to not move to any East Coast college town

33. Reason #11 not to move to Burlington..Johnny Hancheck lives there

34. This one time I saw the author of this thing kickflip a longboard. It was rad.

• Your probably his man whore. lol

35. duuddee, maan, how can you harsh on that city. I had some of the best acid trips of my life on the pristine beaches of lake champlian

36. This article is pretty damn accurate… They forgot to call the frat boys chads though… I lived in Burlington for a year and grew up in Vermont. Burlington was the most expensive place that I have lived in and I have lived in a lot of different cities around the US. For a college student it seemed insane for those students who were living off loans to ever see a day that those loans would be payed back. I worked two jobs to pay my rent and other living expenses as a 19 year old at the time. The houses there are overpriced for rent, and the Chads that went to UVM were the douchiest. As soon as a place becomes cool to live in, everyone jacks up the prices of everything. Yeah there is good beer in Vermont, but there is good beer from pretty much every state. Beer snobs, trustifarians, hipsters, wooks, phish heads, and chads are everywhere…..its just they flock to certain places like Burlington for its pretentious hippy rich young people vibe.

• Your a POOR POS. Go die hunting deer. :)

37. Interesting article, fairly well written & engaging. One question: Ever heard of proofreading? Simple errors make you look silly.

• YouR A mOon. I hope you SucK On A DIcK. Betch.

38. a few years back a wook actually tried to sell me crystals at the waterfront… i of course bought them and proceeded to try to find the right angle of the sun to charge them and increase my energy levels while taking dxm and doing bumps of k, what i thought was an average afternoon in burlington turned out to be the majority of my 20’s. take this article as a warning kids, make sure you get the right angles.

• Your an ASSHOLE too… But, at least you tell the truth lol.

39. You are what you see in the world, my friend. If you can’t enjoy the beautiful surrounding of anywhere in Vermont, you are going to be miserable anywhere you go..

40. Bahahahaha this is the funniest thing I have ever read! I thought it was a joke at first, but I’m thinking some one just hates life!

41. THIS Kid AND I MEAN KID, Is a complete ASSHOLE. Stupid ass Asian should have stayed where the eyes are tinted… and not drug induced. This kid pisses me off. And if he told me where he lives, I’d come to his door and explain myself :). Don’t listen to this ASSHOLE. Fuck HIM. Asian PRICK. I HATE ASIANS. If AMERICAN, AND/OR VT, was that bad… WHY DIDNT YOU STAY WHERE YOUR CANT SEE STRAIGHT… AKA, ASIA! GO HOME! YOU CANT DRIVE… YOU HAVE SMALL DICKS… AND YOU CANT COOK.,,,, So, here you go dick, FUCK OFF. I hope you DROWN IN LATE CHAMPLAIN :). Have a nice day you fucking immigrant pice of shit.

42. this kid is obviously very young. a lot of these things can be applied to every college (high rent, fraternities, drug use, etc) and the article is riddled with stereotypes. if you live in burlington or vermont in general, you would understand that these types of stereotypes are based on ignorance and say a lot about the immaturity and insecurity of the person who blurts them from his/her sickening mouth. the stereotypes you state define only a small percentage of people in burlington – I know like 2 people who listen to the dead, for example. with that said, the dead and phish are great musicians, objectively speaking. but i guess for people who only listen to shitty dubstep and nicki minaj, you wouldn’t understand what good music is. the funniest part of this is the “beer snobs” part. you drink bud ice and four lokos. based on that reasoning of beer snobery, anyone who doesn’t drink piss is a beer snob. when you’re old enough to go to college, maybe you should re-write this article.

43. lol this was a mastermind of a piece, and extremley thought provoking

44. The dude/dudette’s office are in SE Portland..freaking hipster capital of the west coast. Not a lot of moral high ground there..writing this about BTV while based in SE PDX is like running into your father in law in a whorehouse…

45. Not sure who in their right mind moves to Burlington expecting a strip club…? I think the author may have been on ketamine while writing this. Honestly though, you were shocked that there were rich hipsters, skiiers and snowboarders, fancy beer, hippies deadheads and phish heads… AT A COLLEGE TOWN IN THE MOUNTAINS? Just curious what all actually DID you expect to find there?

46. As a local, I support this message. So much is right on. Also, another saying is “Burlington is nice, because it’s so close to Vermont.”

Not many Vermonters look to Burlington to really describe Vermont. Great article. Love it.

47. Do not move to vermont. The schools are not all that, this state is too quick to reward these girls with foodstamps with kids by losers. All people here do drugs and drink and have low self esteem problems. Desperate girls. The black guys come here cause the know how lonely and desperate these girls are, and the lonely desperate unhappy women who purposely go after married men and do not care, i regret moving here, gonna move out of this state. Vermont sucks.

48. I’m living in Vermont and cannot wait to move out. That being said credit where credit is due: there are a lot of positive things: good beer, nice produce, nice areas (for hiking and whatnot), low crime rate.
    On the flip side cost of living is ridiculous, even real major cities have lower cost of living and a lot more choices. Also the racism here sucks too, I’ve been to trailer parks in the south and felt more welcomed.
    Call me an out of stater, flatlander all you want (or is that veiled language for something else that Vermonters want to call me?) every state has its problems, and as much as I criticize Vermont I know I came here because my home state has its fair share of issues as well, the difference is I can acknowledge that without getting defensive about it.

49. You are so right about this place I am not a fan not at all. been here about 5 yrs to damn long waiting and praying for the minute I move out of this horrible place. Just recently found out I’m expecting and NO way in hell am I having my baby in no Fucking Vermont. Pray for me the strenght and courage to leave. Thanx Miserable in Vt